Great Taste Trail Back and Beyond
2 Days 2 Nights Self-Guided 100 km
2 nights at a charming Tapawera B&B. Suitable for groups up to 8 persons.
Day one Nelson to Tapawera
You will be met and briefed by the Nelson Cycle Hire Team, at our Nelson Airport Depot and:
- Fitted to your cycle, issued accessories, guide notes and maps
- Then transported to your B&B accommodation
Exploring The Newest section of the Trail Back and Beyond along the Baton and Motueka river valleys.(map link)
Today you are cycling a 50km loop from Tapawera via the Baton river valley then the Motueka river west bank to Woodstock and back on the east bank of the trout laden Motueka river to Tapawera.
- Cycle in the scenic splendour of the peaks of the Kahurangi National park. This is nature at it’s best with big skies, crystal clear waters and green valleys filled with pastoral vistas of dairy and beef cattle and sheep. This is also big hop country where the world famous Motueka hops are grown.
- Stop for a swim or a paddle in the one of the many swimming holes in the rivers
- Enjoy a picnic lunch along the route
- Finish your ride with a relaxing craft beer or other refreshment at the Tapawera Hotel
- Return to your B&B
Baton River Deviation Map
Tapawera to Nelson via Spooners Tunnel (map link)
Today you are cycling 50 km, mostly downhill or flat, through historic Spooners Tunnel and the villages of Wakefield and Brightwater back to Nelson Airport.
- After a short gradual uphill ride (the only one today) cycle through the 1.4km long Spooners rail tunnel, the longest decommissioned rail tunnel available for cycling in the southern hemisphere
- Enjoy an exhilarating 10km downhill ride as the trail descends along the old bed of Nelson’s “Railway to Nowhere” to the meandering Wai-iti river, past hop gardens, a free range poultry farm and a historic railway windmill, one of only 2 remaining in NZ.
- At Wakefield village there’s a treat for pie lovers or a choice of good cafes. Wakefield also boasts the South Island’s oldest church.
- Near Brightwater you can visit the memorial dedicated to Brightwater’s most illustrious son, Lord Rutherford, famed for splitting the atom.
- A small detour will give you access to several wineries before you finish your ride at Nelson airport.
Price per person incl GST and choice of Optional Extras:
- 2 persons Basic Tour $780
- Basic tour with Luggage transfers: $880
- 3-4 persons Basic Tour $830
- Tour including Luggage transfers $920
- 5 or more persons Basic Tour Price, $805
- Price with Luggage Transfers: $890
- Ebike supplement $145
- Minimum 2 persons, Share Twin or double (single supplement may apply)
- Cycle hire, (including locking cable, pump and puncture repair kit), panniers, headlamp for the tunnel, hi vis vest
2 nights B&B accommodation (if you are short on time ask us for a price for a one-night stay)
- 2 breakfasts
- 2 dinners
- Transfer Nelson to Tapawera