Great Taste Trail Mapua Chillout
3 Days 2 Nights Self-Guided 75 km (two nights Mapua)
Nelson – Mapua – Kaiteriteri
Nelson to Mapua (view map)
You will be met by the Nelson Cycle Hire Team, and:
- Fitted to your cycle, issued accessories, trail briefing with written route instructions and maps
- Your ride starts at Nelson Airport, and today is about lots of experiences during your leisurely 26 km cycle on the Great Taste Trail through to Mapua (about 2 hours cycling) so we suggest planning to be on the way by 1030. Your only time constraint is the scheduled last sailing for the day of the Mapua ferry. On the way visit medal winning wineries, cafes and restaurants, swim at white sand beaches, indulge in scrumptious real berry fruit icecreams, visit a glassblowing studio, sample local cheese and be blown away by the beautiful coastal wetlands along the route.
- Cross from Rabbit Island to Mapua on the bike ferry
- Stay 2 nights at a delightful B&B in Mapua – wonderful for those who don’t like to be packing up and moving on every night.
Exploring The wonderful Moutere
Explore the wonderful taste and culture of the scenic Moutere,
- visit medal winning wineries, restaurants,
- check out some of the region’s abundant art studios,
- eat lunch at a vineyard restaurant, or have a picnic in a stunning vineyard
- Check out the region’s history, (visit Somerset Early Settlers Cottage) or have a drink and perhaps lunch at NZ’s oldest pub.
- indulge in the freshest picked fruits from roadside stands
- return to your B&B in Mapua
Mapua to Kaiteriteri
- Follow the scenic coastal route on the Great Taste Trail and after a 200 m climb you will be rewarded by the magnificent views from Tasman Ridge where you get a 360° panorama stretching from the Mapua Inlet in one direction to the snow-clad northernmost ranges of the southern alps in the other
- There is a choice of great lunch restaurants at Motueka
- At Riwaka a delicious taste experience awaits – enjoy a yummy berry ice cream with a fresh cherry on top, or an award winning home- made pie and a beer tasting from the Hop Federation.
- Enter Kaiteriteri on a 4 km section of the Easy Rider mountain bike trail set in beautiful beech bush. If this isn’t to your liking or fitness level, don’t worry, you can choose to go round by road.
- You will have time to relax and enjoy Kaiteriteri’s beautiful golden sand beach and sparkling azure waters before Nelson Cycle Hire arrives to transport you back to Nelson
Price per person incl GST (Minimum 2 persons) and choice of Optional Extras:
- Basic Tour Price including transfer from Kaiteriteri to Nelson: $725
- Tour including luggage transfers $800
- Ebike supplement $175
- Subject to accommodation availability
- Single supplement applies
- Minimum 2 persons, Share Twin
- Standard Cycle hire, (including helmet, locking cable, pump and puncture repair kit), panniers, hi vis vest
- 2 nights B&B accommodation
- 2 breakfasts
- Transfer from Kaiteriteri (or Mapua) back to Nelson