Great Taste Trail Grand Experience
6 Days 5 Nights Self-Guided 175 km
Day one (Grade one)
- Be issued with your cycle & accessories, receive route instructions & maps and a briefing
- Start at Nelson Airport, leisurely cycle through to Mapua (cycling time excluding stops about 2 hours) 26km
- On the way visit medal winning wineries, cafes, restaurants, taste some cheeses at the cheese shop, swim at white sand beaches, visit glass blowing studio, indulge in scrumptious real berry fruit icecreams, swim at a pristine white sand beach, enjoy beautiful wetlands. There’s something for everyone.
- Cross from Rabbit Island to Mapua on the bike ferry
- Explore Mapua or if you haven’t cycled enough head for the scenic Moutere, cycling on quiet back country roads, visit medal winning wineries, New Zealand’s oldest pub, check out some of the region’s historic places, abundant art studios, be tempted by the freshest of fruits from the vendor stands. Return to Mapua. (30 km)
- Stay overnight at a delightful B&B in Mapua
- Dinner – own arrangements
Day Two (Grade two and three)
- Cycle from Mapua to Kaiteriteri (49 km) at times following the scenic coastline, at others viewing it from the heights, bypassing the fishing township of Motueka, commercial heart of this fruit growing region.
- Lots of quirky places to enjoy refreshment stops along the way, including boutique breweries, community enterprises, great cafes, yummy berry ice-creams etc
- You will cycle past citrus orchards, vineyards, through apple and kiwifruit orchards and hops, finishing up with a short ride through the bush on a very easy mountain bike trail into Kaiteriteri.
- Stay in a beautiful Eco Lodge set in a bush setting for 2 nights. B&B Basis
- Optional leisure day to explore beautiful Golden bay – by kayak or cruise or one of many cruise combo options available including a walk out on the World famous Abel Tasman Great Walk or you can just laze on the golden beach.
- To cycle or not to cycle? if you do want to cycle, head for Marahau (8km) and from there you can walk out onto the Abel Tasman track.
Day Four (Grade two) quiet back country road (38 km 3-4 hours)
- Cycle from Kaiteriteri back to Riwaka (last opportunity today for a brewery tasting and fresh berry icecreams)
- then you are cycling along the scenic tree-lined Westbank of the Motueka river, set in all the grandeur of the Kahurangi National Park. You will cycle through the simply stunning rolling hills of the valley and its beautiful pastoral scenes as far as Woodstock and then relax at your charming B&B.
Dinner bed and breakfast included.
Day Five (Grade three) quiet back country road 36.5 km 3-4 hours
- This morning Nelson Cycle Hire will pick you up and transport you to Tapawera where you will resume cycling towards Kohatu and then Spooners Tunnel, which at almost 1.5 km long is the longest disused rail tunnel available for cycling in the southern hemisphere. From the tunnel the trail is a 10 km downhill blast. Then you are cycling alongside the Waiti stream until just before you reach your destination of Wakefield and your delightful B&B.
Dinner Bed and Breakfast included
Day Six (grade 1-2) 19 km on cycle trail 1-2 hours
- Easy cycle through the villages of Wakefield and Brightwater riding through the vineyards, past cafes. Take a last opportunity to do some tastings at award winning wineries and boutique breweries. Enjoy a lazy winery lunch or a beer tasting with pizza before arriving back at Nelson Airport.
Price per person incl GST (minimum 2 persons, share twin) and choice of Optional Extras:
- Basic Tour Price : $940
- Tour Including luggage transfers 2 person minimum $1130
- Tour including luggage transfers 4 person minimum $1060
- Upgrade to E Bike $210
Courtesy Coach - FREE Airport or Bus pickups. Arrange Now
Customise your tour - to budget, group size, time or fitness level. Ask How
Nelson Enjoy Craft Beers, Boutique Wines or Kayak the Abel Tasman. Nelson add-ons
For Kids We have Kids' bikes, trailers, buggies and seats. Family Options
Cycle hire / bike rentals - cycle hire options. Bike Hire Only