Great Taste Trail Weekender Leisure
2 Days 2 Nights Self-Guided 52 – 80 km
- You will be met by the Nelson Cycle Hire Team, fitted to your cycle & issued accessories, your Route instructions & Maps and be briefed. Start at Nelson Airport, cycle to your B&B (10 minutes approx) just a short distance away near Nelson’s famous Tahuna Beach, or, if you prefer, we can deliver you to your B&B (optional extra).
- Depending on your arrival time, you may have an opportunity to explore Nelson, and definitely try out one of Nelson’s wonderful restaurants. Our helpful staff are happy to give you their recommendations.
- Today you are cycling on the Great Taste Trail, to Mapua (maximum 2 hours) 26 Km so you have plenty of time to taste all the experiences of this section of the trail. The only constraint on your time is the last sailing of the Mapua ferry.
- On the way you can visit medal winning wineries, cafes, restaurants, cheese shop, swim at white sand beaches, visit glass blowing studio, indulge in scrumptious real berry fruit ice-creams, swim at a pristine white sand beach, enjoy beautiful coastal wetlands. Have lunch at Nelson’s oldest established vineyard estate. There’s something for everyone.
- Cross from Rabbit Island to Mapua on the bike ferry
- Stay at a delightful B&B in Mapua
- Dinner – own arrangements
- Cycle out into the gentle rolling clay hills of the Moutere leaving the Great Taste Trail behind.
- Visit award-winning wineries (very different wines to yesterday’s wines created from the gravels of the Waimea Plains)
- Check out some of the region’s abundant art studios
- Eat lunch at one of the wonderful vineyard restaurants, or have a picnic in a stunning vineyard
- Check out the region’s history, (visit Somerset Early Settlers Cottage) or have a drink and perhaps lunch at NZ’s oldest pub before returning to Mapua (30 km) and your pick up by Nelson Cycle Hire to transfer you back to Nelson
- Or you can simply Stay and Explore around Mapua if you just want to chill and don’t fancy venturing out into the Moutere. Then when you have explored it all, cycle back to Nelson (26 km) or you can be picked up by Nelson Cycle hire
NB: This is a Flexible package – You can choose to stay at your Nelson B&B either at the beginning or end of your cycle ride
Price per person incl GST (Minimum 2 persons) and choice of Optional Extras:
- Basic Tour Price : $590
- Tour Including luggage transfers Mapua $669
- Ebike supplement $145
- Subject to availability of accommodation
- Single supplement applies