Great Taste Trail Extended Weekender
3 Days 2 Nights Self-Guided 75 km (one night Mapua, one night Kaiteriteri)
Nelson – Mapua – Kaiteriteri
You will be met by the Nelson Cycle Hire Team, and:
- After being fitted to your cycle and accessories, you will receive a briefing along with written route instructions and maps.
- Your ride starts at Nelson Airport, and today is about lots of experiences during your leisurely 26 km cycle on the Great Taste Trail through to Mapua (about 2 hours cycling) so we suggest planning to be on the way by 1030. Your only time constraint is the scheduled last sailing for the day of the Mapua ferry. On the way visit medal winning wineries, cafes and restaurants, swim at white sand beaches, indulge in scrumptious real berry fruit ice-creams, visit a glassblowing studio, sample local cheese. Perhaps lunch and wine-tasting at Nelson’s oldest vineyard estate. There’s something for everyone!
- Cross from Rabbit island to Mapua on the bike ferry
- Relax and enjoy 1 night at a delightful B&B in Mapua
Exploring The Bountiful Moutere
Leave the Great Taste Trail and explore the wonderful taste and culture of the scenic, gently rolling clay hills of the Moutere:
- visit medal winning wineries, restaurants,
- check out some of the regions abundant art studios,
- eat lunch at NZ oldest pub or a vineyard restaurant, or have a picnic in
- Check out the region’s history, (Somerset Cottage
- indulge in the freshest picked fruits from roadside stands
- At Riwaka enjoy a fresh berry ice-cream with a fresh cherry on top, or a great prize-winning home-made pie topped off by a beer tasting from the Hop Federation. Enter Kaiteriteri on the 4 km Easy Rider mountain bike trail set in beautiful beech bush (easy grade).
- Tonight you stay at a B&B eco resort in a lush bush setting, see glowworms at night and enjoy the tranquil views of Kaiteri’s golden sand beach with its sparkling azure waters.
No cycling today unless you choose. Plan a leisurely swim at Kaiteriteri’s inviting golden sand beach or go kayaking off the beach or do it as part of a cruise out in the adventure playground of the Abel Tasman National Park. (Optional activity)
From here you will be transported back to Nelson at a time that suits you.
Price per person incl GST and choice of Optional Extras:
Minimum 2 persons, Share Twin
- Basic Tour Price: $749
- Tour incl luggage Transfers: $945
- Ebike supplement $175
- Enjoy a cruise to Awaroa and upon arrival, dine at the world famous Awaroa Lodge*. After lunch take a walk to another stunning beach for your pick up back to Kaiteriteri! read more…. $100
- Standard Cycle hire, (including helmet, locking cable, pump and puncture repair kit), panniers, hi vis vest
- 2 nights B&B accommodation
- 2 breakfasts
- Transfer from Kaiteriteri back to Nelson