Option Two – Two days – Double Treat …. >
Great Taste Trail Double Treat with Ebike
This option is based around 2 great one day self-guided tours from your Nelson base
- Day One – you will be taking a day excursion to Magical Mapua. Hop on your ebike and join the Great Taste Trail at Nelson Airport. Enjoy a leisurely 26 km cycle through the coastal wetlands to Mapua (less than 2 hours cycling excluding stops) Grade 1 easy.
- On the way visit award winning wineries, cafes, restaurants, have a free cheese tasting, visit an art glass blowing studio, perhaps spot some of the estuary’s myriad of migratory and native birds. Enjoy a refreshing swim on Rabbit Island’s inviting white sand beach.
- Then cross from Rabbit Island on the cycle ferry to Mapua (10 minutes). Explore the vibrant township of Mapua, have a leisurely lunch and then return to Nelson to your spacious accommodation at beautiful Tahuna Beach where you are staying for 2 nights. Your luggage will be waiting here for you. (Total ride for today about 52 km)
- Tour special – enjoy a complimentary glass of wine or beer.
- Day Two– Spooners Tunnel ride
- Nelson Cycle Hire will pick you up from your accommodation and transport you to the far end of the Spooners Tunnel (the longest disused rail tunnel in the southern hemisphere).
- Cycle through the tunnel (headlamps provided) and head off on a long downhill into the Waimea Plains. You can enjoy a great traditional pie at Wakefield’s bakery or eat at one of the excellent cafes in the Village.
- Out on the Plains you can visit wineries or enjoy a craft beer tasting or two while taking in the peaceful pastoral scenery. We will collect your bikes from your accommodation at the end of your ride.