Autumn 2019 Package
Cycle into Autumn (on the great taste Trail)
2 One day tours on the Tasman’s Great Taste Trail
1 night’s accommodation at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco
Day One – Taste Mapua (One day tour Nelson to Mapua)- self-guided
- Hop on Tasman’s Great Taste Trail at Nelson Airport; enjoy a leisurely 26 km cycle through the coastal wetlands to Mapua (about 2 hours excluding stops) Grade1 easy. On the way visit award winning wineries, breweries, cafes, restaurants, visit an art glass blowing studio, enjoy mouth-watering fresh berry ice creams, spot some of the estuary’s myriad of migratory and native birds. Cross from Rabbit Island to Mapua on the cycle ferry. Transport with Nelson Cycle Hire from Mapua back to your accommodation at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco Hotel overlooking the Waimea Inlet.
- Tour Special – On arrival at Mapua enjoy a shared pizza and a well-deserved glass of wine each at Rimu Grove WineBar.
Overnight stay at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco includes great value breakfast 2 for one deal.
Day Two – Spooners Tunnel (one Day tour Nelson to Spooners tunnel Self-guided)
- Spooners Tunnel – Nelson Cycle Hire will pick you up from the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco and transport you to the far end of the Spooners Tunnel (the longest disused rail tunnel in the southern hemisphere) Cycle back on the Great Taste Trail through the tunnel (headlamps provided) and enjoy a mighty 10 km downhill blast. Enjoy a world famous pie at Wakefield’s bakery, visit wineries, one free wine-tasting included. Finish at Nelson Airport where your luggage will await you.
NB: Please note that this tour is subject to any fire restrictions which may be in place at the time.
If Spooners tunnel route is closed we will replace it with another tour Mapua to Golden Kaiteriteri (see details below)
- Mapua to Golden Kaiteriteri Alternative – (choice of 2 routes)
You will be transported by Nelson Cycle Hire to Mapua where you will pick up the trail where you left off yesterday and enjoy the vistas from the various scenic highlights of the GTT if you choose to cycle that route. This is orchard and hops country and you will have opportunities to enjoy more of those delicious fresh berry ice creams, indulge in the best pie you have ever eaten at Ginger Dynamite’s famous food cart, and wash it all down with a sampling of beer from artisan brewers the Hop Federation. And, if it’s warm, finish off with a swim on beautiful Kaiteriteri’s golden sand beach. Nelson Cycle Hire will collect you and return you to Nelson where your luggage will await you.
2. You will be transported to Mapua where you will resume where you left off yesterday and cycle through the rolling country of the Moutere. This is a wine-lovers ride as you will have lots of wineries to visit, not to mention the arts to enjoy and delicious fruits to sample as you cycle through the wine, fruit and hop country. Then there will be opportunities to enjoy more of those delicious fresh berry ice creams, indulge in the best pie you have ever eaten at Ginger Dynamite’s famous food cart, and wash it all down with a sampling of beer from artisan brewers the Hop Federation. And if it’s warm, finish off with a swim on beautiful Kaiteriteri’s golden sand beach before Nelson Cycle Hire collect you and transport you back to Nelson where your luggage will await you.
Prices: $365 per person (min 2 people), single supplement applies
Ebike Supplement $60 per person
- Cycle hire for 2 days
- Helmet, lock, pump and repair kit
- Ferry ticket, map and guide notes
- Return transport each day
- A shared pizza with a glass of wine per person
- One nights accommodation at the Grand Mercure Nelson Monaco including breakfast ∞one wine tasting
Bookings: (subject to availability of accommodation) 1 March through 31 May as follows:
1 March to 30 April: daily.
1 May to 31 May: Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday or Sunday and Monday due to operation of the Mapua ferry.
Bookings and enquiries Email us or phone +64 (0)3 539 4193
Or use the enquiries form